Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2012 Reboot


If you didn’t get what you wanted for Christmas this year, well, too bad. There’s nothing I can do about that for you. What I CAN do is let you know I am rebooting this blog for 2012! I can hear your sarcastic cries of joy from here, so please stop. The blog is not for you, it’s for me. Read it if you want, I just don’t care.

So why bother? There are some good reasons to bother, and while many of them are probably not suitable for printing in public (there is always value in keeping SOME things to yourself, although it seems many people reject that concept in our current era), a few of them are. SO here goes:

  1. Tiny changes are easier to make than big ones. I recently read a Lifehacker article that basically said, “if you want to make changes this year, focus on a few small things to give yourself a chance to be more successful.” Writing one blog post a week is a small change that I think I can be successful at.
  2. There’s interesting things happening in everyone’s life, but I think a lot of people (myself included) miss some of those things for two main reasons: 1) People don’t actively look for the interesting experiences they are having all the time and 2) people are too shy and don’t actually think their experiences are interesting to others. This is a cause for loneliness and I think it is becoming a problem for more and more people. My goal is to look for the interesting experiences I am having, and then share those experiences with others. If nothing else I will be defining the interesting parts of my life.
Last year I used one of only a couple of blog entries made to list some resolutions for 2011. In total, I did very poorly in executing these resolutions. Many of them were just too big to really accomplish. I did watch the Big Lebowski, and I did drink a lot of beer. But other than that, most of the resolutions I blogged about last year were left on the wayside of the Internet before last year’s Super Bowl. But this year will be different. Seriously, it will be.

All the resolutions for this year are small (tiny changes) and quantifiable. Believe it or not, you CAN make changes to your life as long as you have a plan. The main item I want to share right now is that I have a goal to make at least one blog post every week this year. I’ve blocked out time at home to make it happen, and I am really looking forward to it. Aren’t you excited, too?

Lastly, all blog entries this year will end with some random (or not so random) picture or video. The first one for this year is a hint as to what I am most excited about this year:

No comments: