Saturday, October 18, 2008

I think I figured it out

I've thought about doing a blog before, but never really felt like I had a reason for one. After the Hamilton's came over the other night. and after seeing some of Jonathan's entries on HIS blog, I thought I would give it a go. But still - there has to be a purpose, a focus, otherwise, it's just a waste of time. Now, I love to waste time, but still, I already have a lot of ways to waste time, and I don't need another one. 

Then I made my weekly (daily) stop at the liquor store on my way home from work on Friday. Now, here is the situation: Nicole is pregnant. I like to have a couple of drinks, especially after work on Friday. But I can't buy a bottle of wine, because I have to drink it all myself, and well, I just try not to do that very often. I could have some booze, and while I know that even I will not try to finish a whole bottle of booze, it's not like you can buy a different kind of booze every time you go to the liquor store.

So we are left with beer. Sweet, delicious, beer. Which is good because I really like beer.

One of the things I like about beer is that there are so many different kinds of beer, and each one can stand on its own. It's like a never ending adventure of new tastes, smells, colors, and therre is always a payoff in the end. So basically, someone who likes to drink, but has the attention span of a two year old, can find enjoyment in a different way whenever they want.

So yesterday's stop at the Tonka Bottle Shop on 101 and Minnetonka Blvd may prove to be a watershed moment. As I bought my Boulder Brewing Company Mojo India Pale Ale, the guy rining me up asked me if I liked really hoppy beer. He also asked if I was a "Hop Head". I didn't respond to that question. But I did tell him that I like to try lots of differenet beers. "Kind beers" would be how I would refer to them - especially when I wanted to sound like a real dork. But I am always interested in new beers. I feel like I have had every kind of beer offered by my local liquor stores - or at least most of them. I have my favorites of course, but I am always into trying new ones. And boy, did he show me a new one. More on that in a later post.

Then it hit me. A beer blog. An idea that is so good, it has probably never been thought of before. A google search for beer blog yielded only 3.1 million possible web pages to visit. So I am definitely breaking new ground here. Now I know how Christopher Columbus and Jackie Robinson must have felt. What form will this take? What will the ground rules be? Is "beer blog" really an acceptable answer to any question relating to purpose? I DON'T KNOW. But I do know that I will be retiring both my Nerd and Wife thinks I am wasting time meters if this goes on very long.

No comments: